"ಮುಸ್ಸಂಜೆ ಮಾತು", the title sounded romantic, and different from thecurrent crop of cinema titles. The songs being played on the FM channels increased the excitement, "ಕದ್ದಳು ಮನಸನ್ನಾ, ಅವಳಂಥಾ ಚೆಲುವೆನಾ"!! I felt I must watch this movie. And I had never watched ಕಿಚ್ಚ Sudeep's movies, starting with "ಸ್ಪರ್ಶ". All these made me wait eagerly for this movie's release.
As usual, I watched this movie on the 2nd day of its release @ PVR. A friend's phone call made me miss 5 mins of the movie, 1 song gone.The story is of a social minded Radio Jockey (ofcourse Sudeep), who hosts a talk show "ಮುಸ್ಸಂಜೆ ಮಾತು" on a popular FM channel (The channel is real, Radio Mirchi FM 98.3. Don't be surprised to Radio Mirchi ads everywhere in the movie) He aims to reach out n empathize with all those people with troubles, as he says "ನೊಂದ ಮನಗಳಿಗೆ ಸಾಂತ್ವನ ನೀಡಲು" Putting it lightly, an Agony uncle(?)
Ramya fits in nicely into her role as a fan of this programme.She has lost her mother, n her drunkard father brings home some-one else. When she protests, her father drives her out, in the middle of the night. She ends up in Bangalore, with her friend. With her heart full of sorrow, she is a perfect audience for this show.She is attracted to a song played in this show " ಏನಾಗಲಿ, ಮುಂದೆ ಸಾಗು ನೀ, ಬಯಸಿದ್ದೆಲ್ಲಾ ಸಿಗದು ಬಾಳಲಿ". Rest of the plot is predictable, how she falls for him, & how Sudeep falls for her, sparks flying, chemistry and the works!!
What makes this movie different is the role of the RJ. Though the incidents in this movie seem trivial, collecting money for a heart operation, advising auto drivers not to refuse passen-gers, etc, it still shows how radio can be powerful tool for social change.
Sudeep and Ramya have been paired together after a long time.They were last seen in ರಂಗ SSLC, together. Sudeep plays his role well, both as an RJ n the lover boy. He emotes well in the climax.
Ramya too does well, especially in the Oomph area. Her acting is as usual, ಆರಕ್ಕೆ ಏರಲ್ಲ, ಮೂರಕ್ಕೆ ಇಳಿಯಲ್ಲ! What was interesting is she wear sarees in all the songs except for 1. Watch the movie and you will understand why!
Well, the lemons!
1. The numerous threads leave you confused. Looks like the director wanted to pack in as much as possible into 1 movie, perhaps to appeal to a wider audience(?)
2. The RJ's advices dont sound convincing! But this is clearedat the end when the RJ says "I used to hand out advices easily on my show, though I had never fully understood their sorrow." (not verbatim)
3. Sudeep's Kannada pronunciation sounds different at time, to put it simply. For eg. ಮಾಡಾನಾ, instead of ಮಾಡೋಣ,trivial ofcourse.
4. The presence of ಪ್ರಾಣೇಶ್ (better known as ಗಂಗಾವತಿ ಬೀchi)and Prof. KrishneGowda. I could never understand thereason why they were included into the cast. The director fails to utilise their full potential
If you ask me why should you watch this movie, here are the answers!
1. The movie is "clean" , you can watch it with anybodyin your family. No illmeaning dialogues, skimpy dresses........ and no ಮಚ್ಚು & ಲಾಂಗ್!!!!! The movie has just 1 fight, just in case the audience forgets Sudeep's macho image!!
2. The songs are superb
ಏನಾಗಲಿ, ಮುಂದೆ ಸಾಗು ನೀ, ಬಯಸಿದ್ದೆಲ್ಲಾ ಸಿಗದು ಬಾಳಲಿ. This is a gud motivational song!
Sudeep does well in the dances especially in ಕದ್ದಳು ಮನಸನ್ನಾ....
3. The social messages from the RJ, "Help your fellow beings"
4. The locales and the camera work are gr8.
So , dont miss watching this movie and write your comments here!!Encourage the Kannada movie industry to make more of such 'clean'movies!!