Thursday, January 1, 2009

’ಹಾಗೇ ಸುಮ್ಮನೆ’ ನೋಡ್ಲಿಲ್ಲ, ದುಡ್ಡು ಕೊಟ್ಟೇ ನೋಡಿದೆ

On the way to work, I used see the posters of this movie. The male n female leads appeared like spoilt brats. Yuk, I did not want to spend 3 hrs watching their onscreen tantrums, their running amok. The director’s name Pritam Gubbi did not ring a bell. I never realized the song I liked to hum ಮಾಯವಾಗಿದೆ ಮನಸು ಹಾಗೇ ಸುಮ್ಮನೆ was the title song of the movie I did not like.

Well, I wanted to watch a Kannada movie on the first day of the year. 2 reasons made me select this movie.
1. No other movie seemed watchable.
2.My online friend told me the female lead was a talented actress.

PVR had just 3 seats remaining. I was fast enough to grab 1 of those before they disappeared too. I was not sure if I would get my paise vasool. (Well, u do get 10% vasool with the nice, soft seats & the a/c in the auditorium)

When the movie started, it did not seem to be different from my image, a spoilt brat and his antics. 10 mins. into the movie, hey this movie seemed to be different, The spoilt brat had vanished! Kiran’s (Pritam onscreen, the director seems to have lent his name) acting seemed fantastic. This chocolate box hero can be tough competition to “ದೂಧ್ ಪೇಢ” from ಗಾಳಿಪಟ. He carries on with his role effortlessly, though a debutant.

The storyline is predictable: boy meets girl; boy falls in love with girl; boy runs around trying to make her fall for him; boy succeeds, and a happy ending! But what sets this movie apart from the run of the mill stories is:

1.The crisp storyline. You are sure about the ending, but subtle twists ensure your interest isn’t waning.

2.The dialogues. Pritam has not lost his ಮುಂಗಾರು ಮಳೆ magic. But no complicated long winding dialogues. Short, simple n effective.

3.Locations n camera work: Nobody has managed to show such beautiful locales, in our own Karnataka, onscreen in recent times. Karnataka Incredible! Some of them deserve to be on postcards. The photography too deserves a pat on the back. The colours of autumn are just perfect.

4.The music: Wow, that’s all I could say. The background music is pleasing, a peaceful island in the tsunami of cacophony some films pass as music. The songs too, are great except 1 which feels a trifle loud. They never feel out of the flow, even though one song seems follow another. Mano Murthy has done it again.

5.The movie is “clean”. No double meanings, no ‘items’ & hey, not even a single fight. You come out with happy feeling.

Every actor has done justice to his/her presence in the movie. None seem out of place. For change we get to see ಪ್ರಣಯರಾಜ ಶ್ರೀನಾಥ್’s posters on an auto.

Did I forget something? The heroine, Suhasi. This was the 2nd reason remember. Though I don’t approve of imported heroines, this 1 is an exception. She packs a whiff of freshness into the movie with her presence. She impresses not just with her dewy looks, but with her acting talent too. She again proves talent, not skin, makes you stand apart from the crowd.

I got my paise vasool!

How many of you remember Chandrashekar, the guy who sang ಸಂತೋಷ ಅಹಾ ಅಹಾ, riding a motorbike? You get to see him in this movie as Pritam’s dad. He has not lost his charm since ಎಡಕಲ್ಲು ಗುಡ್ಡದ ಮೇಲೆ.

Pritam (the hero) says, " ಹಾಗೆ ಸುಮ್ಮನೆ ಅಂತ ಪ್ರೀತಿ ಮಾಡ್ದೆ, ಆದ್ರೆ seriousಅಗಿ ಲವ್*ನಲ್ಲಿ ಬಿದ್ದೆ".
ನೀವೂ ಅಷ್ಟೆನೇ, ಹಾಗೆ ಸುಮ್ನೆ ಅಂತ movie ನೋಡೋಕ್ಕೆ ಹೋಗಿ, you will fall in love with it.

Like Nike says, Just see it (the movie, I mean )

No comments: